Every high five is a chance for
them to show off their strength
Every
park needs to be conquered
Every
girl needs to be protected
Every
argument needs to be won…with physical force
Every
tree needs to be climbed (or peed on)
Every
change of clothes is an opportunity to flex their muscles
Every
walk is an adventure or mission
Every
bird needs to be scared away
Every
mud puddle or dirt pile needs to be played in
Every
stick, spoon, or long object becomes a sword or gun
Every
bodily function is hilarious
Everything
is a competition
Every
destination becomes a race
…I
could go on!
-I’m surprised daily by the amount of pee that misses the
toilet. And how often I need to clean the bathroom.
-I’ve been surprised at how simple it is to dress boys.
Pretty much any shirt goes with any pants. But I’m even more surprised by how
much our boys actually care about their clothes. Every day is a chance to dress
in superhero gear and it’s like getting dressed is putting on their armor.
-I’m often surprised by how physical they are. You would
think I would get used to this but it continues to amaze me. It’s like they have an energy release valve and if it isn’t let out through playing outside or wrestling, they won’t nap or sleep at night.
-They can turn anything into a competition. I asked them
to sort laundry into piles of each of their clothes. It became “whoever has the
biggest pile wins!” I asked who tooted and it turns into “who can make the smelliest or noisiest toot.” Really? Really!
-With all their energy and "violence" I’m surprised by how
cuddly they can be. I LOVE this!
-I had no idea boys were born with a built in repertoire
of sound effects for guns and bombs. When Cros was one year old, he took 3
bites out of a piece of toast, declared that it was a gun and had sound effects
demonstrating how it worked.
-The noise! Oh my, the noise! Why be quiet, really??
-When they actually do settle down, I’m amazed at their
focus and attention to detail with crafts or legos.
-I’m surprised by how long they can sit with me and read.
-I can’t believe how much they love roughhousing,
wrestling, and physical play. They look forward to Tim coming home at night and just take it out on him. They’ve even started putting on work-out clothes or
taking their shirts off just to get ready for the great wrestle-mania.
-I’ve been surprised by how violent their fights can be but
then how quickly they can make up.
-I’m still surprised by how much they love potty talk and
being naked. They think it is sooo hilarious.
-The boys have never seen Star Wars and have only seen a
couple Superhero cartoons and yet they somehow seem to know everything about
them. There is like this magnet with them and anything that has powers and fights for justice.
-I think it is quite funny to see how curious they are about
typical girl things like fairies and princesses. When we have playdates with
friends that are girls they love putting on dresses and heels!
-With each boy the volume and physicality seems to
exponentially grow and the roughhousing gets rougher. It’s like they all spur
each other on. It feels like a madhouse half the time and still surprises me!
-They are still so young (5, 3 and 2) but I honestly can’t
believe how much milk we go through and how expensive our food bills have
become. I can only imagine what things will be like 10 years from now!!
I'm sure I'm missing a bunch and I know the list will grow as the years go on. It is hard to imagine them getting more competitive, more rough, more hungry, more daring...but I know it will come. And I'm sure I'll still be surprised. But with that, I'm so thankful! They are soooo fun!!!

Oh, Casey! How spot on. I only had two, but can relate to every word. You are an intrepid hero.
ReplyDelete